Institute of Animals for Scientific Purpose Development (IAD) is an agency under the jurisdiction of the National Research Council of Thailand (NRCT).
It was inaugurated in pursuance with the Cabinet's resolution on March 6th, 2007 which was agreed to appoint a committee to develop research and use of animals for scientific purposes.
IAD is operating in relevant to the National Strategies for the Development of Laboratory Animals Act B.E. 2550-2559
IAD Logo " Rabbit plays trombone"
Her Royal Highness Princess Maha Chakri Sirindhorn's granted permission to use her painting of a rabbit playing trombone to be used as a symbol of Institute of Animals for Scientific Purpose Development (IAD), the National Research Council of Thailand (NRCT) for the prosperity in promoting the development of research and use of animals for scientific purposes.
The definitions are as follows:
- The year of the Rabbit is the birth year of His Majesty the King. This is to honor the King on using this symbol as a logo of IAD
- A symbol of a rabbit plays trombone revealing of the propagation on regulating and acknowledging all the animal users to follow the ethical principles and guideline the use of animal for scientific purposes in accordance with the international level and standard.
- Rabbit is one of the animals used in scientific research to improve the quality of life and safety of the people. This symbol can give the researchers an awareness of the value of life of animals.
- Promoting the development of animal care and use for scientific purposes to international level
- Supervise government and private institutes to follow the ethical principles and guideline for the use of animal for scientific purposes announced by The National Research Council of Thailand and the national legislation.
- Providing information and conducting activities to promote better understanding to public on the benefits of using animals for scientific purposes.
- Encouraging scientists to apply new innovation, nanotechnology biotechnology and etc. to the 3Rs principles as alternatives to animals.
Institute of Animals for Scientific Purpose Development (IAD)
The Office of the National Research Council of Thailand (NRCT)
196 Paholyotin Rd., Chatuchak, Bangkok 10900 Thailand
Tel +66-2561-2445 ext. 620-7 +66-2579-8751